We want to see the Black community thrive, and with your help, this publication can play a part in that. Our content is free, but we need your financial support. Support Afros in Tha City.
In the summer of 2020, a group of Black writers and artists started discussing the media coverage of Black Lives Matter protests in our city. We concluded that there were a lot of white reporters telling our stories, and that extended far beyond protest coverage. Generally, we weren’t seeing Black interests or perspectives being reflected in local media, and where Black stories were being shared, they were often done so through the filter of a white editor.
What started as a casual discussion about the gap in Alberta’s media landscape quickly turned into a brainstorming session on how we were going to fill it.
There were a few things we wanted to see:
- We wanted a platform where the breadth of the Black experience could be explored with nuance
- We wanted to be the ones to tell our own stories
- We wanted to open a door for Black youth to be included in public dialogue
- We wanted to build up the Black community in Mohkínstsis and foster a sense of belonging
- We wanted a hyper-local, trope-less, stereotype-less, platform where Black voices could be amplified
With some initial support from our partners and early readers, we were able to do just that!
After one year of written stories focused on Mohkínstsis (Calgary), we’re looking to expand our reach province-wide and explore new and more accessible communication mediums, that means audio, print, and if we’re really dreaming big, video!
This is where you come in. In order for Afros In Tha City to survive another year, we need some support. By supporting Afros In Tha City, you’ll help us do two major things:
- Pay our writers for the 2022 year
- Kick off projects that will allow AITC to expand into new mediums
Support Afros in Tha City
Do you need help with this form? Get in touch by selecting “Customer Service” from our contact page.